Monday, September 22, 2008

Sometimes I think we take life for granted

Have you ever sat down at the end of the day somewhere outside and watched a sunset???

It is truly amazing just to see it.

But here's the thing...WATCH just how quickly the sun drops.

Over the years whenever the spirit moves me I make my way to a place at the end of a given day just to take in the sight and reflect. Well, this past summer when we went up to Charlevoix and Petosky (places I'd visit a million times over....I ADORE Michigan-I always have.) each night the girls and I wound our way up over and through the dunes to sit at the beach and watch the sunset which happens during the summer around 10pm at night up there.....

The sun drops like a rock..pretty quickly. Boom, just like that the day is gone.

So, as this particular vacation always happens around my Bday....this year being the beginning of my 49th year...it seemed pretty fitting at the time to spend it taking stock....and trying to figure out how I could slow the damn sunset down...I wanted longer days... 1 second to go by like 2. I think I decided at that point that from those days on each day needed to be about something more significant with regard to moments to learn, grow...or just appreciate. Now, I do that on a regular basis anyway BUT...I wanted it to be EVEN MORE so.

It just feels like we all get caught up in the busyness of our lives and we forget that it all starts INSIDE of each of us...I wonder too...if we spend our lives working on the externals so much that it enables us to NOT focus on the inside...the stuff that really matters..inner peace, love, happiness...contentment...fulfillment..

Why don't we want to look inside our own "closets" ?

What keeps us, some days, from that? If in the end, we've grown...up...closer....to whatever it is we want to be or closer to the people that we care about or closer to the way we see ourselves being??