Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Blogging, like life, is a marathon...or an Ultra-but certainly not a 5k.

Yesterday, like many people, I spent a good portion of the day watching the 118th Boston Marathon. It holds a special place in my heart, not just because I am a runner; but  because I grew up out there.  In general it was such a healing and joyous day; what a wonderful show of unity. I even looked up my qualifying time again all the while wondering if, in fact, I still had it in me to work to qualify.  Years ago, I made a choice to help pace others through to their goals in Chicago.  It was a worthwhile pursuit.  In this moment I am still pondering.

Over the years life moves on as it does, relentlessly forward.  Kids have grown,  we have moved north....as far north as I will ever go having discovered in my middle age just how much I dislike winter. My perfect life is summers north and winters far south.  The thought of never really having to wear a ski mask and 5 layers to run ever again is very attractive to me; especially after our 100 year winter. 

So, as I sit here and type this out...I am thinking: "9:54:00 per mile...at 26 miles, Hmm...maybe."  Or maybe just train and run..and more running...

Like everyone else I am caught up in kids, job, home...and all the amazing joy and trial that life brings.  One thing I have learned is this:  every day is new.  It's a chance to start again.  It's a chance to do life better-every time the sun rises. Life is the coolest marathon I know.